Okizu is seeking an energetic and creative Camp Director to continue our tradition of outstanding camping experiences for families affected by childhood cancer and to infuse our core values into our culture.
This is an dynamic time for Okizu as we expand programs and services. The current job description is attached but one of the most exciting duties will be to evaluate and rewrite the job description in collaboration with Okizu leadership.
POSITION TITLE: Camp Director
POSITION SUMMARY: In partnership with Okizu Leadership Staff, evaluate, and deliver programs. Serve as Camp Director during all Okizu program sessions.
Duties & Responsibilities: The main duties of this position are to deliver on our mission by acting as the Camp Director on a year round, full time basis.
- Oversee the daily operation of all programs, including food service, program, and camper and staff supervision and health care.
- Play a leadership role in program development and evaluation to ensure that the program reflects and delivers on our goals of peer support, mentoring, respite, and recreation.
- Direct, support, and supervise camp staff including volunteers, program staff, and food service staff.
- Work with Director of Family Services.
- Work with Assistant Camp Director to implement recruitment plan and selection process for new and returning volunteers, including applicant interviewing.
- Help provide an atmosphere for developing good morale and well-being among the camp family.
- Ensure that our programs use the community-building potential of camp as a tool to create a safe space that encourages peer support for all of our campers (kids as well as adults).
- Work collaboratively with internal and external groups to ensure the enhancement of the camp operation.
- Represent Okizu in the ACA and COCA-I arenas. Support and attend conferences.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participate in development and execution of pre-camp and in-service staff trainings.
- Liaison with office in terms of camper applications and paperwork.
- Run camp office – be available to talk with parents and Okizu office as needed.
- Manage camper and staff paperwork at camp.
- Manage camper behavior issues.
- Manage staff behavior issues.
- Manage program staff.
- Oversee the management of the food service area through supervision of Food Service Manager and review of food service program.
- Support Site Manager to ensure that the site and program work together to best serve the mission.
- Assist with budget development and ensure compliance with budgetary parameters.
- Implement all safety and risk management procedures.
- Maintain compliance with ACA (American Camping Association) and COCA-I (Children’s Oncology Camping Association, International) Gold Ribbon standards.
- Prepare an evaluation and summary of current season including inventories, staff evaluations, camper reports, and recommendations for the following season.
Knowledge, Skill and Physical Requirements:
- Current CPR and first aid certifications
- Ability to supervise staff and campers
- Ability to represent Okizu to the public
- Ability to plan, organize, and carry out daily and special programs
- Knowledge of Okizu office procedures
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities
- Knowledge of resident camp programming
- Good verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organization abilities, attention to detail
- Fluency in Microsoft Office
- Technically savvy
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds
- Must have the ability to visually access and observe campers, program, and property
- Must have the auditory ability to receive and pass along verbal information in an emergency
- Must be able to sit for up to seven hours per day, to perform repetitive typing for up to four hours at a time, and must be able to perform necessary phone work – this includes being able to hear and speak on the telephone
- This position would require the ability to listen to others, observe others’ actions, read text and information; comprehend instructions and manuals, and the physical ability to move about the camp property in various environmental conditions
If interested, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.