Do you want to spend more than a week at camp this summer? Would you like a job where you make a difference, have fun, and make lifelong memories?
Okizu is a peer support and recreation program for Northern California families affected by childhood cancer. We run week-long summer camping programs for pediatric oncology patients and their siblings, and weekend-long programs for families and teens and young adults in the spring and fall.
We seek an enthusiastic and experienced camp leader to be our Assistant Camp Director at Camp Okizu for the 2019 camp season. This person will support camp operations, including pre-planning and day-to-day program operations. We’re looking for someone with strong leadership, organizational, and creative qualities who has a general knowledge of resident camp programming and a contagious love of camp.
You will contribute to successful camp program operations by effectively serving the needs of campers and families in the Okizu community, providing a supportive and fun environment, and building camper confidence. You will foster an inclusive and welcoming camp environment for all who enter the gates or are associated with Okizu.
- Assist with pre-planning of Okizu programs (summer, Family Camps, TNT, and teen weekends)
- Assist with staff training of volunteers
- Fill a leadership role each week of summer camp (positions may vary)
- Assist with volunteer staffing, including recruitment, interviewing, and placement
- Assist camp director and leadership team in planning and carrying out pre-camp training and set up
- Oversee staff and campers in assigned program areas
- Welcome and check in/check out campers and families at camp
- Carry out program for family camp weekend: schedule, announcements, staffing, handle concerns as they arise at camp
- Check in regularly with camp director, share information effectively and in a timely manner
- Assist in daily operations of camp, and in daily tasks and duties
- Experience as a counselor or staff in a camp setting (experience with programming preferred).
- 3 years of leadership/supervisory experience and 2 years of experience working with children in an organized setting, or a combination of experience and related educational coursework.
- Strong communication skills to effectively listen to peers and youth, and to speak to large groups.
- Ability to train and communicate safety regulations, emergency procedures, and instructions to staff and campers.
- Flexible, organized, creative, fun, mature and self-motivated, with the ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize responsibilities, complete required paperwork, and maintain confidentiality
- Willing and able to live in an outdoor living environment and move around camp in various environmental conditions.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental conditions and potential hazards.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess appropriateness, employ behavior management techniques, enforce safety regulations, and carry out emergency procedures.
- Must meet the physical and cognitive requirements of being responsible for minors in an outdoor living environment.
- Must be at least 18 years of age, have a clean DMV record and pass a background check.
This is a full-time, temporary, seasonal position which begins April 1st and ends in Sept./Oct. Employee will reside at Camp Okizu, which is located near Oroville, CA. Occasional travel to our Novato office is required. Okizu is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. No phone calls please.